Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Tomorrow

You know those days where you are just overflowing with things you want to say, but you either:

a) Don't know how to accurately articulate them,
b) Perhaps should not be articulating them at all,
c) Can't even make sense of all those thoughts yourself as it is?


Today is one of those days.

So here is what I will say. Today is Wednesday. It is overcast and muggy outside. I am sitting at my desk, with horrible posture as usual, right leg crossed over the left, both butt cheeks sound asleep. I am sitting here unable to come up with something interesting to write about. I attribute this to there simply being so much I want to say that I can't filter one thing from the next. I can't make sense of one part, let alone the whole thing...and even if I could, I am not even confident that I would be able to figure out what I should say versus what I shouldn't say. And as I reread that, it gives the impression that the thoughts jumbled in my noggin are all stressful, potentially negative thoughts, but alas, that is not the case. Sometimes even the good stuff can be garbled and confusing.

But that's the age-old pickle, isn't it? Those who know me know that I generally lack an adequate filter. I say what's on my mind, good or bad, and don't get embarrassed all that easily, for better or worse (no, that is not a challenge...) And this notion ("this notion" being all of the above) got me thinking about tomorrow.

If we are being honest with ourselves, tomorrow is not a tangible thing. Today is the tomorrow of yesterday. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. We all know this, but more often than not, choose to ignore it (and understandably so). This moment, the moment right now, as you squint at your computer screen, probably regretting delving into this blog post, is the only thing that is concrete. What a responsibility, right? Acknowledging and accepting that every fleeting moment bears the weight of a lifetime. Wondering about all of the potential "what ifs." Heavy stuff, sure, but along with that comes opportunity. Lots of it.

I think sometimes we expect too much of a given day, so much so that it often gets in the way of what each tiny piece of that day has to offer. Sometimes we live moments of silent desperation...silent excitement...silent bliss...we sit on these moments like inflatable donuts for butt injuries. We worry what they mean. We worry what any particular reaction or action may result in. We paralyze ourselves. Maybe if we all relaxed a little more about relaxing...we would be able to relax...enjoy moments and recognize them for what they are: reminders that we are alive

Sometimes we run so fast in preparation for tomorrow that we don't actually leave anything left in the tank for tomorrow. And then we inevitably waste tomorrow in preparation for the next tomorrow, hoping it will live up to the "hype."


But here's the thing...yes, the sun will come out tomorrow, but the sun is already out today. Sure it may be cloudy where you are, but it's sunny somewhere. And it may be cloudy where you are tomorrow too. Or it may be cloudy somewhere else. The point is, if you spend all of your time waiting for the sun to come out you'll miss out on all of non-weather related parts of the day that might just rock your socks. I for one was really happy for cloud-cover today. Made the 85+ degree, humidity laden air a little more bearable.

It will come across a little morbid, but the truth of the matter is, we are all dying. It's just a matter of when. Why not live in the process? Don't wait for it. Make "tomorrow" now. "Get busy living, or get busy dying."


Say what you want to say, do what you want to do, and don't waste a minute waiting for tomorrow to come. Don't chase tomorrow. Embrace today.  



No comments:

Post a Comment